"He who can not draw on three thousand years is living hand to mouth"- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Monday 31 January 2011

A Speech of Elucidating Mystification, Spoken in The Scholars Pub -For The English Literature & Creative Writing Society-

Ladies & Gentlemen,

                                    Being the vice-president of this illustrious society you must be wondering who I am.  It is true it must seem like I do not get up too much, so indulge me in this action of making a speech.  I have a list of things to present to you:  Two Questions, A Statement in Two Parts, A Declaration, An Advertisement, A Hypothesis of Calculation, A Request & An Apology.

TWO QUESTIONS:

1)    How many of you read the books our lecturers write?
2)    Out of those who read those books, how many of you find them relevant?

A STATEMENT IN TWO PARTS:

a) As a collective we are going through many cuts.  As an individual I have had my cuts.  In my last year at College in Bridgewater I cut my wrists, you can still see the scars & I invite you to do so; ever since then I have asked myself why?
b) A couple of years before coming to Aberystwyth I was in Aberystwyth.  I stayed a month studying English Literature before running away & being took in by the police in Worchester.  Ever since then I have asked myself why?

A DECLAIRATION

Soon the English department will ask me to re-sit my Medieval & Renaissance exam, & possibly also my 19th Century exam.  I will refuse to re-take it.

AN ADVERTISEMENT:

I have created a blog called ‘What I get up to?: A Life Uploaded’, there I have put up all the work I have done in the last year or so.  There is an anthology called Doppelganger that I invite you to read.

A HYPOTHOSIS OF CALCULATION:

For each lecture & seminar you attend how much would you individually pay for?

A REQUEST

The request I make is a friend request, to be exact.  I request of you to add as many friends as you can.

AN APOLOGY

I am sorry that this speech does not contain much poetry.

                                                                                                Thank you for your time.   

1 comment:

  1. Wish I was there for your speech, brother.

    Tom.E

    ReplyDelete