"He who can not draw on three thousand years is living hand to mouth"- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Saturday 29 January 2011

Tarvosky’s Best Film


Ivan’s Childhood.  Now that’s out of the way let me tell you why:  The Russian filmaker has made a few films and each of them are testement to his vision & ability to create that vision.  It’s more for his ability that really impresses.  In film theory they are perfect examples of what the medium can achieve in an utterly breathtaking & dreamy directing.  Is it, however, really nesscerry to caetgorise his perfections in order of perfetions?  I don’t believe it is and objectively it’s impossible to, but I do want to explore the reasons of why I think Ivan’s Childhood is his most perfect of films simply because it is worthy of speculation & should throw up some interesting ideas about what perfection is & how it is known when it is seen.  Maybe it is also because since all of his films are perfections why is it that I believe Ivan’s Childhood to be his best?  I need to discuss. 
  
Out of the seven most people, out of the few who have watched his entire output, would probably hazard a guess that Solaris is his best & for understandable reasons.  Solaris is, if is possible, Tarvosky’s most ‘accesible’ film due to being in space with an almost understandable plot, when there is plot, & heartbreaking pathos but of the most distant kind.  I’m not sure why Solaris would be preferable to Stalker except that it deals with love.  A love story would be more accessible than a quest for the soul but again I don’t know why that is.  To me is seems that Stalker is a more complete film than Solaris since the character’s journey seems more complete.  Also the metaphors are clearer in Stalker because the plot is a parable.  Two men go into dangerous wastelands guided by another who seek a place that may grant wishes.  It is a fairytale about mystery & manipulation.  Solaris is, I suppose, a fairytale but the characters are messier.  Stalker is much more like an adventure & Solaris a romance so being a boy I would opt for the one that would seem to have more action or one that had less women, love being the messy thing it is.  Let me have my meditation of Man, God & Nature while I shun the gloriously written thousand page Mills & Boon.  Though I prefer Stalker over Solaris it is not my overall favourite.  Mainly because they can be both labelled under IDEA.  As nice as it is to see ideas being played out they are played out to such an extent that they can leave without touching emotionally.  In fairness I probably need to be married first before I’ll understand why people prefer Solaris over Stalker but I have to deal with my opinions here & now.
  
Mirror on the over hand goes completely, almost, the other way.  Instead of big, abstract ideas it presents a personal story(ies) in a personal way.  This film is as close as memory comes & probably as close as a miracle.  The simple exisitence of this film is wonderous enough.  How is it possible for cinema to have scenes shot so well that they become a mystical experience is bewildering for my mortal & finite brain to handle but there it is.  

Ivan Childhood displays big ideas & true emotion in perfect balance.  Ivan is a courier in a war delivering messages within the conflict.  When we first see him he is already hardened & pushes men above his age & rank around with his determined aggression.  Our impression of him is that he is tough & competent.  It is a disjointing impression not because he is a victimless but because he is actually doing well from both his job & the war.  How can this be for such a young child?  In one scene we see that this toughness is not without its gaps.  Ivan is alone at night in a shelter.  Unable to get to sleep he pretends that he is on a message delivery mission before breaking down into tears.  

It is a intelligently compassionate story, for there is one here, told with developed characters & memorable scenes.  Cinematic perfection look no further.      

1 comment:

  1. http://www.facebook.com/update_security_info.php?wizard=1#!/notes/andrew-dean/space-utopias/10150188867649045

    ReplyDelete