"He who can not draw on three thousand years is living hand to mouth"- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Saturday 29 January 2011

At Home, In Exile


At Home, In Exile

When I smelt the sea I knew the walk
Would become easier.  I knew beaches
But the waves were new to me.  I knew
Of fire and dry ash falling to water,
Now the rain excites me and dancing above
The crashing thrills me.  The journey’s long.
I have walked ten hills once before taking
Several years to finish.  I began with an
Army running down the slope.  A mass
Of movement I had never known before.
Somewhere along the way a muscle gave out
Leaving me limping lost as the team ran on.
I sat too hurt to move and looked at the stars.
Somewhere patterns are being formed.  Ants are
Building hills and I draw pictures from facts.
I am walking through an unfamiliar corridor and
A payphone rings heavy like the receiver.  My
Mother wants to know if I am being treated well.
I was told I should kill myself today, I say.
I have walked away in the night before not
Scared or turning back but wondering why I can’t.
I’ve seen smoke rise to the sky.  I am asked
Why I do not live closer to home.  I never feel heimet
Unless I am away.  I have walked where I
Have not understood the contents of words and it
Was a bliss of ignorance that did not weigh me down.
Responsibility was removed from the heard language
Allowing me to ascribe holiness to their strange sounds
Filling me with sublime thoughts and blessings
That each night I re-create the fragile dream and
Hold it like a drop of water.  A voice speaks
With distance and I try to keep the vibrations.
I have come to a half-built  wall
Dry in the mid-day sun without the moisture of cement.
I look for stones to fit and fill the gap
Leaving little filling in-between.  Stone by stone
Sure and slow and still.  The time I take
To build this wall is time enough to heal or
Ease at least the tension of my step.  I
Learn the names of the Medics Black, the Tormentils,
The Self-Heal and count the colours of the Marble
White, the Red Admiral and Largest Blue.  The
Corridors became more known.  I still answer the
Telephone and tell my mother I am happy being away from
Home where the sand has no sound, the walkway no pier.
I was told I should kiss myself tonight.
The steps are still steps it’s the landscape that moves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment