"He who can not draw on three thousand years is living hand to mouth"- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Saturday 29 January 2011

A Peril Of Light (episode 1)



(EPISODE ONE: EVICTED)

SOUND: A BLURRED VOICE.  CONVERSATIONS.

COME ON NOW.  WAKE UP.  WAKE UP...THERE, NOW YOU'RE STIRRING, NOW YOU'RE FLUTTERING; NOW GET UP!

APRIL:

don't be too hard, Dan.  He's very tired.

daneil:

he must have been walking hard to get so sleepy in just one hour.  must have been very detailed steps you're taking!

SOUND: a yawn.

cyril:

ah, morning.  Lovely day, what?

SOUND: a yelp.

DANEIL:

get up you wilt there's more land to cover before the day's done.  You can sleep then.

CYRIL:

how rude!  must you give encouragement through your feet?  ah, what aur, eh?  what a place to wake up to!

SOUND: a yelp.

DANEIL:

you can admire while you walk.

APRIL:

stop kicking him.

DANEIL:

we've got to get on.

CYRIL:

alright, I am getting up & I am getting on.

DANEIL:

quicker...

APRIL:

don't spoil a good day.  do we know where we're going?

DANEIL:

the others are looking at the map now.  taking their blessed time too.

APRIL:

do you think they're good at reading maps?

DANEIL:

better than me, s'all I know.  what's it matter where we go anyway?  we're just going for a walk.  doesn't have to be perfectedly plotted.  the ants are crawling all over my toes.

CYRIL:

if we're not walking now gladly tell why you wished to wake me?

APRIL:

you were getting sun-burnt.

DANEIL:

still, they can't be much longer.

CYRIL:

better to be ready, hm?  goodnight.

DANEIL:

there's no point in sleeping now, birk!

SOUND: A YELP.

APRIL:

you two!  are you going to fill this day with irritation?  replace each minute with an annoyance?  it's getting hot, there's no point in sweating through nothing.  they're not taking too much time, just let them have their fun.

DANEIL:

I'll see if i can't hurry them to a direction.

APRIL:

are you aright?  didn't kick you too hard did he?

CYRIL:

no, he's a brute but a small one.  I'm not feeling too well though.

APRIL:

will it be a problem?

CYRIL:

no. my head is wetter than usual.

APRIL:

that's sweat.  you wouldn't know it but you're suffering from excursion.

CYRIL:

oh, is it curable?

APRIL:

you'll survive.  what does not destroy strengthens.

CYRIL:

ah, strength.  aren't I strong enough?

APRIL:

they're a good group are they not?

CYRIL:

oh yes, only mildly scratching.  likable all the same.

APRIL:

I'm glad you like them.

CYRIL:

I'm sure you had nothing to worry about.

APRIL:

ignore Dan if you want- he'll mind but everyone will understand.  it's clear today, and with enough wind.  walking conditions perfect.

CYRIL:

let us hope we are in the right condition for the perfect walk.  we'll walk anyway.  whatever the weather.  we'll keep walking.  would you mind to describe the scene for me?  I do love the sound of description.

APRIL:

well; we are sitting by a rock, & the land is flat, small bushes cover it & large grass.  it's marshy in places & hard in patches.  some little streams running on & on.  birds flying, small ones in tiny groups.  a rabbit in hiding.  sky is pure blue.  light by late morning.  slowly warming.

CYRIL:

do we have to move?

APRIL:

the sun does.

SOUND: A YAWN.

CYRIL:

yes, nothing like the sun.

APRIL:

I thought you wanted to get out.

CYRIL:

so did I, but then you get there...

DANEIL:

I've never known them like it.  arguing & arguing about the thinest lines.  i tried to interrupt but their argument was unbreakable. no chink of weakness could have stopped them.

APRIL:

are you sure they're ok?  they're never been this way with each other before.

DANEIL:

no, they are acting strange.  I think they're probably trying to get out of walking.

CYRIL:

I might join them.  I think I have an opinion of where we are.

craig:

I said it doesn't matter!

Cherle:

we've decided.  we're going this way!

CRAIG:

there has been no decision!

CHERLE:

I've taken an decision.  I've made it my own, I HAVE DECIDED.  we're going where I walk.

CRAIG:

where did you take it from, what have you made it with?  YOU HAVE NO UNDERSTANDING OF THE PLACE!

CYRIL:

I think you're all wrong.  it's not where we want to go but  where do we want to stay.

CRAIG:

oh, shush up.

CHERLE:

it's not a joke.

CRAIG:

if we're lost, which I think we are, then this becomes serious.  I want to go back home at some point in time, but I can't find home if I can't find here.  why do none of you mind?

CYRIL:

perhaps we prefer being lost.

CRAIG:

I wouldn't mind losing you, you great sleeper, but you never seem to drop away!

APRIL:

isn't this all getting a bit too heated?

CYRIL:

it is hot.

APRIL:

let's calm down.  this place is not that big. we can find our way home.

CRAIG:

a man could drown in a puddle of water.  he could get lost for a lot less!

CHERLE:

but he doesn't have too!  not if he knows what water looks like.

APRIL:

please stop.  can somebody say something sensible?

CYRIL:

if I could be a bird I would fly right underneath a cloud about to break to feel all that fresh water drench my dry dirty feathers.  what a shower that would be!

SOUND:  pacing, moaning.

CRAIG:

who brought this Cyril along?

CHERLE:

it would be easier being an animal in this plae, where home is everywhere.

CRAIG:

& everywhere is danger.  don't forget how easy it would be to get killed.  places like these turn on you, with quickness.

CYRIL:

how morbid.

DANEIL:

none of us needed to be here, but while we're here we may as well walk.  where ever it is we walk to.

CRAIG:

don't you get it?  you may think its a quick walk through the park, but this is a serious experdition-wher-if we don't take it seriously- we'll be in the bottom of a pit called trouble.  and it's not the cosyist of places.

CYRIL:

always serious.  maybe you should have memorized the map, then you would know every answer.

CRAIG:

at least I don't sleep while the sun burns me.  what does your instinct tell you now?  what does your compass say?

SOUND: A YELP.

CYRIL:

that I should have stayed in bed!

APRIL:

all I wanted was a pleasant walk.  now everybody's kicking Cyril.  clouds gather quickly in this country.

DANEIL:

the sky's cloudless.

CHERLE:

all there is up there is the sun.

CRAIG:

and...down here...our...shadows!

CHERLE:

yes Craig, 'shadows!'

CRAIG:

wait, wait!

DANEIL:

what are you looking for down there?

CRAIG:

which direction was the sun when we started?  it was to our right wasn't it?  it was morning, it was rising, from the east!  then-we were walking...north...no, no wait- give me the map!  agh!  we were going down into it, not up!  south not north.  not north, not up, but down, down, down.

APRIL:

what? I thought you knew the way we were going.

CRAIG:

the map, the bloody bleeding line infested map!  it was upside down.

SOUND: crying &, then, laughter

CHERLE:

and you did everything to convince us of your skills- everything except reading THE MAP!

SOUND: laughter

CRAIG:

you wanted to be convinced! you didn't want to...oh what does it matter now?

CYRIL:

that'll do no good. it's time I want to turn around now.

CHERLE:

don't be pathetic Craig.  if you have a map & a compass then you can find where you are.

DANEIL:

you do still have the compass?

CHERLE:

yes, he has. he's just crying because he knows he's a crap liar!

APRIL:

Cherle, he's just mistaken. but Cherle is right, we can find a way out of this lost situation, because we're not lost completely

SOUND: CRYING

CHERLE:

oh, come on, get up.

DANEIL:

yeah, don't worry man, nothing bad happened yet, no need to cry.

SOUND: louder crying

CYRIL:

I think he must be too hot.  he's trying to cool himself with crying. Some sweat, others feels.

APRIL:

that's not very helpful, Cyril.

CYRIL:

I have a hankerchief if that will help.

SOUND: CRYING

APRIL:

why are we ll getting worked up? it's such a beautiful day, is it really possible for light to show all this- just lke a wonderful picture; doesn't it look just like a painting? maybe that's why people paint.

CYRIL:

ha, maybe.  but then I've needed a reason. have you ever watched someone paint?

APRIL:

yes.

CYRIL:

did you ask them why they did it?

APRIL:

I asked them something of a question.

DANEIL:

hey, Cyril, give me a hand with Craig, I'm going to try to pick him up-ok?

CHERLE:

what for?

DANEIL:

so we can start walking.

CYRIL:

I'm not sure if I should be walking.

APRIL:

where are we going to walk?

DANEIL:

ANYWHERE. I'm fed up just standing around, I want to be moving, I don't want to turn to stone.

APRIL:

don't do that.

CHERLE:

let's leave him here. let him be lost on his own.

APRIL:

do we all have to be so mean? it's hurtful, some of the things that have been said.

CYRIL:

who but a cloud can go through a walk unhurt?

CHERLE:

I've had enough. I'm not going to wait until the grass is flooded.

APRIL:

don't leave us.

DANEIL:

she's got a better idea. catch us up when he's wringed dry.

APRIL:

but where are you going- why did they walk away- Craig, are you going to stop crying- what's happened to this day?

CYRIL:

the sun will again be the answer, as it soaks up his rain. a ridde might help also: (ahem) "Iam the daughter of Earth & Water, And the Nursling of the Sky; I pass through the pores, of the ocean & shores; I change, but I cannot die", what am I?

CRAIG:

LOST! lost! lost...

CYRIL

but besides from that, Craig, what else am I?

APRIL:

are we mad, or are we going to go after them?

CRAIG:

they'll...come back

APRIL:

really, why?

CRAIG:

because I'm the one with the map & compass!

CYRIL:

how do you know they can read maps?

CRAIG:

oh...hopeless

CYRIL:

it must be such a strain, being hopeless.

APRIL:

those two, what mad imp drives them?

CYRIL:

they'll probably, as Craig says, come back. they may not cre for directions but I'm sure they have strong opinions about water.

CYRIL:

well, hopefully being made mostly out of water should count for something, they can drink themselves at least.

APRIL:

are you ok?

CRAIG:

yes, yes, I feel ok now.  I'm not too sure what happened then. I think its the heat, it's getting to all of us. we should try to find a shadier place then this to rest in at mid-day, otherwise we'll boil away. come on.

APRIL:

alright.  what do you think of it so far?

CYRIL:

rubbish.

APRIL:

yes, I agree.  not bad, one hour's walk & we've all arrived at bedlam. it's gone alright, though, hasn't t? pretty good for your first week here, don't you think?

CYRIL:

it's been good to stay somewhere else. change is renewing, coppers are enhancing. i'm glad to provide some relief to this crazy humor- destited crew. how do you know so many people that are unable to tell jokes?

APRIL:

i don't know. maybe I've stopped laughing. this seemed like a good idea before, it doesn't feel good enough now.

CYRIL:

long walks are only enjoyable when you reach home. think of going to your house, taking off your boots, your bag & going into the kitchen, having something to eat, and then, finally, in your bed, sinking into a heavy sleep. you have nothing to do tomorrow, you can stay there.

APRIL:

if we can get back...we've got to catch up to them first. come on.

END OF EPISODE ONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment